Happy middle of October, crew! We’re halfway through the month, and more than halfway through S2 – it feels a bit bittersweet. Lots of amazing stuff this week, including New York Comic Con (NYCC)! We had a bunch more interviews this week too, which are listed out at the end of this post. Let’s get into it!
⚠️ Please note that we are not hiding any content featuring scenes from episodes 1-5. We will continue to hide content from future episodes under spoiler accordions. ⚠️
We were treated to tons of great S2 behind-the-scenes content (BTS) from a crew member! You can find many of them posted in the below Twitter thread, or all of them here in our gallery.
We got some great BTS from the Red Flag episodes!
We were also treated to some water filming BTS from cinematographer Andy Rydzewski. When this film studio opened, their massive water tank made a “splash” and we are so glad to see them making these amazing scenes with it.
We also got some BTS of Hornigold’s scenes – including from Mark Mitchinson (Hornigold) himself!
We got tons of new photos for episodes 4 & 5, which you can view below, or in our gallery here.
A New Yorker noticed that our beloved banner on the HBO headquarters was being replaced. Sigh.
We got some nice BTS from cinematographer Nathaniel Goodman of the “message in a bottle” scene!
Rotten Tomatoes gave S2 a shout-out!
People were making fun of Jenk’s flip-flops (thongs) in Nathaniel’s BTS above, so a crew member came to his rescue…
We got tons more great BTS from the first three episodes from crew members!
David Jenkins got all misty-eyed about his time in New Zealand…
And – wow! An analytics platform Flix Patrol said OFMD was the most watched series in the world!
Samba came out of the shadows to give us a warning… (Technically he shouldn’t be engaging with the show, per SAG-AFTRA, but we’re glad to hear from him when we can!)
Episodes 4 & 5 premiered! And phew…
We did also hear from Jenks that S02E04 will be the last episode for Ewen – at least for S2.
Some people found that Max didn’t play the preview for next week’s episodes, so here it is!
⚠️ Content from episodes 6 & 7 ⚠️
We got some BTS from crew members…
An attentive user discovered the title for the S2 finale! Under the accordion, if you don’t want to be spoiled…
⚠️ Title of the finale episode ⚠️
New York Comic Con officially kicked off – with a SAG-AFTRA protest, we love to see it! You can follow along with the shenanigans of NYCC, including the panel on Saturday with cast, at the below thread.
We got some new photos from episodes 4 & 5! You can view some of them below, or in our gallery here.
Crew members posted some more BTS from the first 3 episodes!
For lucky Friday the 13th, we were treated to details of Frenchie’s black cat S2 outfit!
We also noticed that the New Zealand Film Commission’s website on OFMD had a new video! It features interviews with cast and crew, and contains footage from upcoming episodes.
⚠️ Footage from upcoming episodes ⚠️
Phew, we are getting a lot of sneak peeks!
We got some more BTS from crew members – including the full list of Blackbeard’s crimes from his wanted poster! Tag yourself, we’re “potting ironic ashtrays”!
We also got a preview of next week’s episodes with some new photos! You can view them at the tweet in the accordion, or here in our gallery.
⚠️ Scenes from upcoming episodes ⚠️
Saturday was the day of the cast panel at New York Comic Con! We posted some highlights in the thread below, or you can watch a recorded version here. (The livestream was free, but the recording is only for Popverse members or NYCC digital ticketholders.) Sadly, because of the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike, the cast had to dance around mentioning OFMD. But it was still great seeing them all together again!
Everyone looked like they were having a great time.
We also heard that Max may be submitting episodes 1-3 for Emmy nominations!
Other Things This Week:
- Our Flag Means Death’s local cast on ‘thirsty fans’ and the secret to the show’s success (The Spinoff)
- Our Flag Means Death Season 2 Is Leaning Into the Ed/Stede/Izzy Triangle (io9)
- Our Flag Means Death’s creator says these 5 Westerns are key to his big gay pirate show (Polygon)
- Our Flag Means Death: Nathan Foad on Lucius’s Emotional Return (Vanity Fair)
- “Our Flag Means Death”’s Costume Designer on How to Make the Perfect Pirate Halloween Outfit (PopSugar)
- Rhys Darby Improvised This Sweet Moment in ‘Our Flag Means Death’ Season 2 (Collider)
- ‘Our Flag Means Death’ Season 2’s Anne Bonny Was Inspired by Elizabeth Taylor (Collider)
- ‘Our Flag Means Death’: David Jenkins on Rekindling Stede & Blackbeard’s Romance in Season 2 (TV Insider)
- David Jenkins Plundered This Trick from Taika Waititi When Directing Season 2 of ‘Our Flag Means Death’ (IndieWire)
- “Our Flag Means Death” Creator David Jenkins Answers All Our Episode 4 and 5 Questions (PopSugar)
- ‘Our Flag Means Death’ Creator on How the Pirate Queens’ Fiery Arrival Heralds a New Start For Stede and Blackbeard (Variety)
- Our Flag Means Death’s creator on his pirates’ romance: ‘They’re 14-year-olds, emotionally’ (Polygon)
- Reviews & Other Articles:
- ‘Our Flag Means Death’ S2 Review: Pirate Treasure (Metro Weeky)
- Our Flag Means Death Season 2 Review: Does it Sink or Swim? (That Shelf)
- October Picks (IMDB)
- Our Flag Means Death S02 Eps.1-3 Review: Our Heart Belongs To Stede (Bleeding Cool)
- ‘Our Flag Means Death’ Season 2 Thankfully Avoids This Mistake (Collider)
- Season two of “Our Flag Means Death” sets the standard for queer representation (SCAD District)
- Our Flag Means Death Season 2 escapes the sophomore doldrums (The Spool)
- Last Night’s Our Flag Means Death Had a Gay Pirate Wedding Proposal (Out)
- The Real Stories Behind the Pirates of ‘Our Flag Means Death’ (The Mary Sue)
- Rhys Darby and the Our Flag Means Death cast have a lot of paranormal opinions (Polygon)
- Our Flag Means Death’s Rhys Darby talks about wanting a better SAG-AFTRA deal (The AV Club)
- Max posted a scene from S02E02 where Auntie calls Lucius “Bread Boy” instead of “Rat Boy.” (That Kiwi accent, it’s hard.) It was swiftly deleted, but the fandom love-hated it so much they decided to own it with a French bread clip from S01E02 later that day. And into fandom lore it goes.
- Stands is releasing another round of OFMD hoodies!
- You can submit questions for the Q&A at the screening of episodes 6 & 7 on Monday at NewFest.
And that’s what happened this week! See you all next time!