Here we go, everyone! It’s the last weekend before S2! Activity has been seriously ramping up from all corners – let’s catch you up on everything!
We got a surprise promo image of Stede from entertainment site The Screamr!
⚠️ S2 Promo Image ⚠️
An unwatermarked version can be found in this thread, or in our gallery here.
They were not exactly planning to give us all this image, as we learned from one of their admins, Mo!
Max started rolling out the big promotional guns, and we were thrilled. There’s a billboard up in Times Square in New York City, a banner on HBO’s headquarters in Los Angeles, and posters on bridge support pillars also in Los Angeles.
We learned that the BBC has yet to schedule a premiere date for OFMD. A fan was told a few weeks ago that, if the BBC was going to air S02E01 on October 5 like the rest of the world, we would only learn about it two weeks ahead of time. And September 21 was 2 weeks out from October 5. So the BBC is unfortunately still an unknown in terms of timing – though presumably they still have the license to the show? No other UK entity has yet to state they will air OFMD.
But on a brighter note…
MCM announced that cast would now have a panel – October 28 at 11am BST. MCM has not historically livestreamed or recorded their panels, so sadly this will probably be an exclusive experience for attendees.
@ofmdframes, through his connections as a critic, was able to give us another surprise promo image!
⚠️ S2 Promo Image ⚠️
Buttons appears to be… leashed? Which explains the rope Roach is holding in the Vanity Fair photo. And we can see Roach in the background, with his sash, along with what looks like Pete sleeping below him, and Wee John to the left of Stede. Perhaps this is the crew sleeping under the bridge?
That's 500! We did it! One (1) exclusive Our Flag Means Death Season 2 photo courtesy of @StreamOnMax (WarnerMedia) by the delightfully talented set photographer Nicola Dove (filmstillsacademy on Instagram).— Our Flag Means Death S2 Oct 5 on MAX (@ofmdframes) September 23, 2023
Watch for my (@patcheschance) Season 2 review at @PasteMagazine soon. pic.twitter.com/nX7qejjRSo
Some very lucky fans got to meet Jenks! We have to wonder how many days a week he’s been going to visit the billboard in NYC…
A critic with early access to S2 was able to confirm the runtime on each of the episodes (minus the finale, which is under wraps even for the critics):
And then we received the happy news that the Writers Guild of America (WGA) had reached a deal to end their strike – after 148 days!
And right on cue at 12:01, we got a behind-the-scenes pic from writer Alex Sherman! We sure are glad to have him back, he’s honestly one of the biggest fans of the show.
We ran a tweetstorm event with the hashtag #AboutBelonging! We saw a lot of really great posts from fans.
The review embargo lifted at 8am PT, and we got a flood of S2 reviews from critics who had been given the first 7 episodes of the series (no one has so far watched the finale). The good news is, most reviews are very positive, and the average rating seems to be hovering around an 8/10.
Please note that these articles contain information about plot, song tracks, and episode titles. Fans who don’t want to go in knowing too much may be advised to avoid at least the Collider and NZ Herald articles, which many say are too spoiler-y.
- https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/hbo-max/our-flag-means-death-season-2-review (this one was written by our very own @ofmdframes!)
- Proceed with caution:
⚠️ S2 Episode Titles ⚠️
What in the world does “Impossible Birds” mean??
We also got an awesome inside look at costume designs from TV Insider, as well as a whole minute and a half long clip from episode 1!
⚠️ S2 Spoilers ⚠️
Thanks so much to TV Insider for these behind-the-scenes looks! Here’s the link to the article for interviews and more images.
Their article also included an embedded YouTube video of a minute-and-a-half long clip from what Max has labeled as from S02E01. Please note that some people have said this clip is a bit too spoiler-y for their tastes. (Also a TW for DV.)
If you do watch the clip, read this to cheer yourself up…
And then, we got new clips from Max to celebrate being a week(!) out from premiere!
⚠️ S2 Spoilers ⚠️
Stede in his waitress era. 😊
Interestingly, they seem to have made some graphic design changes…
And we got a (non-spoiler-y) post from Alex Sherman!
And more content is coming…
Will also have a pre-season interview with David Jenkins coming next week as well as some post-premiere goodies, so stay tuned! #OFMD— Carly Lane-Perry (@carlylane) September 28, 2023
Someone shared an amazing story about Alex Sherman. (You’re gonna wanna read this thread.)
And Max actually put together a cute video (very like BBC’s video from last year)!
And then – phew – we got a special behind-the-scenes look at the filming of S2! This video contains interviews with cast & crew, but also brand new clips from S2.
Jenks offered a quick quote to Collider.
I kind of thought people would know a little bit more [about] where we were going, but then in hindsight, no, people have been hurt and burned on so many other shows and then made to feel silly. So it was very gratifying to see the show embraced — to see every element of the creative embraced, every element of the production design, every department get their due in attention, was just overwhelming. It’s the honor of my professional life. I don’t think this happens very often, so I’m just savoring it.— Collider
And now today is October! Which means we are officially in the week of premiere! (“This Thursday!” Agh!)
Catch up on #OurFlagMeansDeath before Season 2 premieres this Thursday on Max.— Max (@StreamOnMax) October 1, 2023
Other Stuff This Week:
- Convention News:
- A Twitter user is running a “FOMO project” for Izzy fans who cannot attend NYCC!
- There will be two Izzy Canyon meetups at NYCC (the “Captain” of those meetups is this Twitter user).
- NYCC attendees who want to get OFMD pronoun pins (and donate to the Strike Squad!) can sign up here.
- If you need a run-down of OFMD goings-on at NYCC, this Twitter user updated their guide.
- There will be an unofficial meetup at MCM!
- “Izzy’s Big Hard Quizzy” will be happening at MCM!
- Other good articles this week:
- https://www.them.us/story/our-flag-means-death-queer-fandom (written by our own @ofmdframes!)
- “Our Frames Mean Love” is now on YouTube!
- Drag show “Kraken Open a Cold One III” will happen in Naarm/Melbourne, Australia on November 4!
- Operation Auxiliary Wardrobe is collecting red silk passes, group pictures, group sing-a-longs, and of course, reviews!
- We found this amazing write-up about queerness in S1.
- Leslie shared an excerpt from her memoir, which is climbing the New York Times best sellers list.
- OFMD writer Simone Nathan is now married!
- Nathan was involved in a new project, coming to the British Film Festival!
- There will be a “Celebrating Queer Voices” picket at WB on October 3.
- The Strike Snack Squad announced they will be expanding to New York. And they need volunteers for a few projects, see here!
- A Twitter user shared an interaction with Kristen Johnston.
- Kristian welcomed a new member to his own personal crew!
- Vico did a YouTube Q&A to officially launch their Patreon.
- The Darbys auctioned off a photo of Rhys and Taika for kittens! (It may have been taken on the S2 set!)
- The actors union SAG-AFTRA will be meeting to discuss strike terms on Monday October 2. You’re invited to change your pfps in support this week!
So, wow. Here we go. Lots to mull over (and re-watch) before this Thursday arrives!
See you on the flip side…